[GTALUG] GnuPG Woes...

Peter King peter.king at utoronto.ca
Tue Dec 30 21:53:09 UTC 2014

> When I get back to Toronto in a few days I'll check a few places where an
> older version of the file might be.  Ditto for the keyring.  I have some
> hopes that I will get hold of a sufficiently old version of the file and of
> gpg to decrypt it that way.  We'll see.

I managed to locate two partial versions of the missing file, from which I
could reconstruct most of it.  Still no idea about what went wrong, but given
that the partial versions decrypted without problem, my guess is a disk error
or something of the sort that corrupted the encrypted file, which was then
propagated to all my backups.

Moral of the Story (one moral among many): Keep static time-stamped backups as
well as current redundant copies.  Will implement a scheme to do so this week,
a better New Year's resolution than most!

Thanks to all who offered suggestions.

Peter King			 	peter.king at utoronto.ca
Department of Philosophy
170 St. George Street #521
The University of Toronto		    (416)-978-3311 ofc
Toronto, ON  M5R 2M8
       CANADA

http://individual.utoronto.ca/pking/

GPG keyID 0x7587EC42 (2B14 A355 46BC 2A16 D0BC  36F5 1FE6 D32A 7587 EC42)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 7587EC42