[GTALUG] Intel entering the low end, AMD taking ARM to the high end (Was: HummingBoard-i2eX First Impressions)

Stewart C. Russell scruss at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 14:27:07 UTC 2014

On 2014-12-29 06:45 AM, Scott Sullivan wrote:
> Intel certainly has not ignored these low power, small form factor SoCs. …
> http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/do-it-yourself/galileo-maker-quark-board.html

The (rev 1, at least) Galileo is a disappointment. Its prime purpose
appears to be to generate heat. It's neither a tremendously useful small
computer (up there with Pentium 2 performance) nor a usable Arduino
clone (port polling in the few tens of Hz). If I must find an
application, it could replace Y2K-vintage industrial PCs (the Galileo's
mini PCIe slot is nifty), or be /slightly/ less power hungry than using
an ancient PC as a firewall.

I briefly ran it as the world's slowest dogecoin miner, but it's now
just gathering dust. If anyone wants it (less the impressively fast
wireless gubbins I rigged up for it), let me know. It can run Debian,
but I'm not sure if it should.

I do like the look of this new SolidRun board. Maybe I could use it to
finally retire my SheevaPlug.

cheers,
 Stewart