[GTALUG] Cubox Dev Platform OS images?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Mon Dec 29 13:38:43 UTC 2014

On Sun, Dec 28, 2014 at 11:34:02PM -0500, Scott Sullivan wrote:
> Ah, I knew there was something bugging me.
>
> Thomas, wanting a armhf port for the cubox is, to use a bit of
> hyperbole, like wanting an 64bit port for your i686. Allow me to set
> up some background information then explain.

The original cubox as a marvell 510 CPU, which is ARMv7, and runs armhf
just fine, as long as you have a kernel for it.  The one on my desk at
work is running Debian armhf SID at the moment, with a custom compiled
kernel.

Performance wise it is somewhere between a Cortex-A8 and a Cortex-A9.

> Debian's armhf port is for ARMv7 instruction set hardware which
> mandated the inclusion of floating point hardware.
> https://wiki.debian.org/ArmHardFloatPort
>
> Debian's armel is for older arm instruction sets that where a
> floating point hardware was not mandatory in the chips.
> https://wiki.debian.org/ArmEabiPort
>
> Your Cubox uses a Marvell Kirkwood system on a chip (SoC). That SoC
> was base on a ARMv5 instruction set. As such it is supported by the
> armel port only. Much like 32bit intel hardware is only supported by
> the i386.

The cubox is NOT a kirkwood.  It is an armada.

So the rest of the email is just irrelevant to the cubox.

--
Len Sorensen