[GTALUG] Replacing drive with /home

David Collier-Brown davec-b at rogers.com
Sun Dec 28 15:45:13 UTC 2014

On 12/28/2014 10:25 AM, Stephen wrote:

> I have one drive on my system that just has /home on it. It is getting
> SMART warnings.
>
> I have the data backed up, and a new drive to replace it.
>
> I am running Ubuntu 12.04.
>
> My question is regarding booting without a /home directory mounted.
>
> How do I go about booting, mounting and restoring my data?
>
> Thanks!

An easy approach, if you have both disks attached to the machine, is to
change the fstab so that the new disk is mounted on /home and the old
somewhere else, then log in as root and say
umount /home, which will undo the existing mapping, and
mount /home, which will create the new mapping.

If you can't mount both disks, just swap the physical drives and log in
as root.
Root's home directory is /root, so it won't be affected by /home being
empty,
and you can do the restore.

--dave