[GTALUG] Does Chrome make Ubuntu 12.10 viable? [was > Re: Upgrade from Ubuntu 12.10]

Howard Gibson hgibson at eol.ca
Mon Dec 22 15:55:42 UTC 2014

On Sun, 21 Dec 2014 23:05:52 -0500
Chris Aitken <chris at chrisaitken.net> wrote:

> Tim,
>
> While I wait for your response, I at least have a workaround now that a
> local computer geek suggested. I went to ninite.com, chose linux >
> chrome > install, and even though it complained about updates failing,
> it completed the install. Chrome is in Applications > Internet. I
> clicked on it, it opened, I went to youtube and played a video no
> problem - no complaints about an old version of Adobe Flash. Should I
> still do this upgrade, or just use Chrome from now on?
>
> Chris

Chris,

   When I updated my Fedora machine recently, I resisted installing
flash. I noticed that most YouTube videos continued to work.  Most
Facebook videos did not work.  Whatever was causing Firefox to lock up
also was not working.  I have since installed flash to cope with some
ski club stuff, and my Firefox has been locking up again.  I am not
getting Flash's out of date message on my desktop.  I have been getting
it on my laptop.

   I have had an interesting problem with Google-chrome.  I run a
webserver on my desktop and on my laptop.  My default URLs are
http://desktop/~howard and http://laptop/~howard.  I would log into my
laptop, and the URL would come up http://desktop/~howard.  I would fix
this, and when I logged into my desktop, the URL would be
http://laptop/~howard.  I have an active Google account to which both
machines are logged in.  I do not like having my personal stuff stored
on the cloud.  Default URLs are not important, but I am not sure how
far this goes.  I am back running Firefox most of the time.  I use
Google-chrome

   Over on http://www.webpagesthatsuck, Vincent Flanders insists that
Flash is dead.  Let's help bury it.

--