[GTALUG] Ubuntu need Adobe Flash?

Anthony de Boer adb at adb.ca
Sat Dec 20 00:34:33 UTC 2014

Sergio Durigan Junior wrote:
> [First post, hey guys!]

Welcome!

> Maybe you know that already, but it is also possible to use youtube-dl,
> a Free Software program, to download the video you want from the
> website.  Despite its name, it works with many other websites, not only
> youtube.  And of course, after you start using it and notice that you do
> not need a program that disrespects your freedom anymore, you can
> uninstall flash from your system :-).

Note that youtube-dl is updated regularly (apparently Youtube is a moving
target); if you're running Debian Stable you get a version that's too old
to be of use.  On my Gentoo box I find there's a new youtube-dl more
often than not when I update.  Best to run close to the bleeding edge on
this package.

Meanwhile, I don't install flash at all on boxes I'd like to keep
unpwned.  As a bonus, there aren't as many annoyingly animated ads.

--
Anthony de Boer