[GTALUG] Ubuntu need Adobe Flash?

Alex Volkov avolkov at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 15:01:01 UTC 2014

Hey Marcello,

I had the same problem with a debian system.

You are using an outdated version of flash, you can still watch flash by
clicking on 'allow' but you should really upgrade.

The main issue here is that, flash player is not licenced by default and
not packaged. The software that installs it on your system is called
flashplugin-nonfree, but for whatever reason package maintainers decided
not to bump its version number to force everyone to upgrade.

 You need to reinstall flashplugin-nonfree or flashplugin-installer however
it is called in ubuntu, by running "aptitude reinstall flashplugin-nonfree"
which you did. However, End-of-life of Ubuntu 12.10 was reached on May 16
this year --
http://fridge.ubuntu.com/2014/05/17/ubuntu-12-10-quantal-quetzal-end-of-life-reached-on-may-16-2014/
So security repository is no longer active.

This is the point where I, as all other people in the list would recommend
you to upgrade to the latest Ubuntu LTS release, however if you want to
just fix this problem, keep reading.

Open terminal, type
$sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
enter a password if asked

Comment out all lines that contain security.ubuntu.com.

Then run aptitude updated && aptitude reinstall flashplugin-installer.

You should be good to go.

Alex.