[GTALUG] Ubuntu need Adobe Flash?

Thomas Milne thomas.bruce.milne at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 14:05:22 UTC 2014

On Dec 19, 2014 8:56 AM, "Marcelo Cavalcante" <kalibslack at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> I haven't posted here for years. I guess Ubuntu has been working well
for me, so I haven't had the need.

>> I can't play videos on the Internet. I get an error that ...
>>
>> "Firefox has prevented the outdated plugin "Adobe Flash" from running on
youtube.com."

>> I get similar errors (that Adobe Flash needs updating) from other sites
- fo instance trying to play videos Posted on facebook.

>> My Firefox is 29.0 Mozilla Firefox for Ubuntu canonical - 1.0
>>
>> I'm running Ubuntu 12.10.
>>
>> I tried to install in this way ...
>>
>> chris at owner-HP-Compaq-dc5750-Small-Form-Factor:~$ sudo apt-get install
fashplugin-nonfree
>> [sudo] password for chris:
>> Reading package lists... Done
>> Building dependency tree
>> Reading state information... Done
>> E: Unable to locate package fashplugin-nonfree
>> chris at owner-HP-Compaq-dc5750-Small-Form-Factor:~$ ^C
>> chris at owner-HP-Compaq-dc5750-Small-Form-Factor:~$
>>
>> I thought re-installing Firefox might bring with it updates, but it
seems I already have the latest version ...

http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/multiverse/f/flashplugin-nonfree/flashplugin-installer_11.2.202.359ubuntu0.12.10.1_i386.deb
>>   404  Not Found [IP: 91.189.92.201 80]
>>
>> Also, I tried Epiphany, to see if the problem is system-wide or
browser-specific. I got similar errors trying to play videos.

>> Sigh.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> I'm off to be soon, but I'll stay up for a little while, in case anyone
is online.

>> Chris Aitke
>

> The problem is that you´re using a very old version of Flash. In fact,
you´re using very old version of everything, as far as I can see.

> Ubuntu 12.10 - means you´re using Ubuntu from October 2012.
> Firefox 29 - the one I´m using is 34.
>
> Well, I think you should really think about updating your Ubuntu, so
you´ll also have all the other softwares updated, since you´re using old
repositories, with old versions of software.

It seems to me that Flash is outdated, period. That is to say it is no
longer necessary. All of this is done natively in the browser with HTML 5
no?

Anyhow ya a full update should solve everything.