[GTALUG] Python 2 vs python 3 debate

Clifford Ilkay clifford_ilkay at dinamis.com
Wed Dec 17 17:53:05 UTC 2014

Is there really a need to moderate long-time members of this mailing
list? I notice that every message I send is held in the moderator queue
and is eventually released.

On 12/17/2014 10:35 AM, Myles Braithwaite wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 5:36 PM, Clifford Ilkay
> <clifford_ilkay at dinamis.com> wrote:
>> I hear you! I'm learning Javascript and wondering, "How did this
>> language become so ubiquitous? Why doesn't Python run in browsers? It's
>> a great language for embeddable scripting."
> The industry seems to like converters (i.e. GWT, Pygamas, etc.) and
> not replacing JavaScript with projects like IronMonkey. Which is kind
> of interesting considering there is a huge user base of Python
> programmers who are coding on top of Microsoft's Excel (instead of
> having to use VB.NET and C#).

I'd looked at Pyjamas and I was never convinced of its merits. Like
Brython that Jamon pointed out, it occurred to me as an interesting toy
but not something I'd bet the farm on.

> CoffeeScript has a Python like syntax (I'm loosely using the word
> 'like') if you are interested in not having to write JavaScript. But
> it compiles CoffeeScript into JavaScript so it's not the best thing in
> the world.

I don't see the point of CoffeeScript. It removes curly braces and some
other constructs at the expense of reducing the number of people who can
actually read the code I write.

--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay