[GTALUG] HTML-only email messages on the mailing list (was Python 2 vs python 3 debate)

Thomas Milne thomas.bruce.milne at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 21:21:41 UTC 2014

 On Tue, Dec 16, 2014, 3:58 PM Loui Chang <louipc.ist at gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue 16 Dec 2014 14:39 -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> > 2) We would have to help people configure their email clients to send
> > plain text emails.
>
> Rather that, than unusable emails.
>
> > If your solution to #2 is they can just Google it, you could also
> > Google how to read HTML email in your email client.
>
> It can't.  At least not in a way that I can reply to cleanly in plain
> text.
>
> So unless people don't expect replies to their email, they better not
> send them in html in the first place.  So you may as well just block
> them and let the user know why it was blocked.

Get a better mail client or configure it properly. I only check my email
in a terminal and don't really have problems reading or replying to HTML
mail.

Yes, I do prefer text, but realize there are a lot of mailing lists that
only send HTML and clients/devices that make it difficult for the user
to write plain text mail.

It's much easier to configure your client properly than to get everyone
to stop using HTML email (which will never happen).

---
GTALUG Talk Mailing List - talk@ <talk at gtalug.org>gtalug.org
<talk at gtalug.org>

Well if you apply such all or nothing thinking, you can dismiss almost any
standard or rule. Why bother if not everyone will obey? Of course not
everyone will obey every rule but they are still useful and this one is
very reasonable to ask.