[GTALUG] HTML-only email messages on the mailing list (was Python 2 vs python 3 debate)

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Dec 16 19:39:12 UTC 2014

On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 12:45:17PM -0500, Myles Braithwaite wrote:
> Mailman does have a way of moderate all HTML messages.
>
> But there are a couple of reasons this might be a bad idea:
>
> 1) Some smartphone email applications don't allow to send messages as
> plain text.

Then don't use those to send messages to a mailing list.

> 2) We would have to help people configure their email clients to send
> plain text emails.

Rather that, than unusable emails.

> If your solution to #2 is they can just Google it, you could also
> Google how to read HTML email in your email client.

It can't.  At least not in a way that I can reply to cleanly in plain
text.

So unless people don't expect replies to their email, they better not
send them in html in the first place.  So you may as well just block
them and let the user know why it was blocked.

--
Len Sorensen