[GTALUG] meeting tomorrow: topic?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Dec 9 15:23:39 UTC 2014

On Mon, Dec 08, 2014 at 11:32:01PM -0500, Anthony de Boer wrote:
> Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 08, 2014 at 12:47:51PM -0500, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> > > According to <http://gtalug.org/> :
> > >
> > > "GTALUG is currently looking for speakers for the 9th December, 2014
> > > meeting. If you are interested in speaking please contact our talks
> > > coordinator."
> > >
> > > Let's brainstorm on this.  Here's a poorly organized dump of some of my
> > > thoughts.
> > >
> > > - I'd love to hear Lennart talk about what he's learned working on
> > >   routers.
> >
> > How many hours do you have?
>
> Be careful what you ask for, Hugh!
>
> > Or Anthony could talk about all the legacy sysadmin disasters of mine
> > he has had to clean up so far.
>
> First rule of work club is what happens at work stays at work.

Yeah probably better that way.  Although I am sure some of it could be
very educational and entertaining.

> > > - I'd like to hear how people have set up their internet gatways.
> > >   What's worth doing, what's easy, what's hard.
> > >   (It's time for me to revisit this after having a pretty static
> > >   setup for a decade.  I'd be willing to talk about what I've done
> > >   but it is pretty stale.)
>
> OpenWRT seems to Just Work, though my setup isn't very current by now.

For some reason I am still running stock firmware on my DIR-825.
Of course by forwarding ssh and http to somewhere else inside I haven't
really needed it to do anything complicated.

> > > - I'm interested in setting up my in-house services like a cloud.
> > >   Perhaps <http://owncloud.org/>.  Motivation: I want to keep control
> > >   of my own data as much as possible.  Can anyone speak to this?
> > >
> > > - Subproblem of above: I run MediaWiki already.  Tips and tricks (eg.
> > >   from Drew) about care, feeding, and use would be welcome.
>
> Take a good look at ikiwiki; it's a lot simpler, keeps history in git,
> and you can edit pages in your favourite editor, commit them, and see
> them show up formatted.
>
> > Pretty sure I am not making the meeting this month.
>
> Nor I.
>
> I had been parking at Yorkdale for the trip downtown, but then the TTC
> parking there got closed for renovation shortly after our meetings moved
> away from the Spadina line.  Will have to come up with a revised plan.

Wilson has lots of parking and is just on the other side of the 401
from yorkdale.

--
Len Sorensen