[GTALUG] meeting tomorrow: topic?

Anthony de Boer adb at adb.ca
Tue Dec 9 04:32:01 UTC 2014

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 08, 2014 at 12:47:51PM -0500, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> > According to <http://gtalug.org/> :
> >
> > "GTALUG is currently looking for speakers for the 9th December, 2014
> > meeting. If you are interested in speaking please contact our talks
> > coordinator."
> >
> > Let's brainstorm on this.  Here's a poorly organized dump of some of my
> > thoughts.
> >
> > - I'd love to hear Lennart talk about what he's learned working on
> >   routers.
>
> How many hours do you have?

Be careful what you ask for, Hugh!

> Or Anthony could talk about all the legacy sysadmin disasters of mine
> he has had to clean up so far.

First rule of work club is what happens at work stays at work.

> > - I'd like to hear how people have set up their internet gatways.
> >   What's worth doing, what's easy, what's hard.
> >   (It's time for me to revisit this after having a pretty static
> >   setup for a decade.  I'd be willing to talk about what I've done
> >   but it is pretty stale.)

OpenWRT seems to Just Work, though my setup isn't very current by now.

> > - I'm interested in setting up my in-house services like a cloud.
> >   Perhaps <http://owncloud.org/>.  Motivation: I want to keep control
> >   of my own data as much as possible.  Can anyone speak to this?
> >
> > - Subproblem of above: I run MediaWiki already.  Tips and tricks (eg.
> >   from Drew) about care, feeding, and use would be welcome.

Take a good look at ikiwiki; it's a lot simpler, keeps history in git,
and you can edit pages in your favourite editor, commit them, and see
them show up formatted.

> Pretty sure I am not making the meeting this month.

Nor I.

I had been parking at Yorkdale for the trip downtown, but then the TTC
parking there got closed for renovation shortly after our meetings moved
away from the Spadina line.  Will have to come up with a revised plan.

--
Anthony de Boer