[GTALUG] meeting tomorrow: topic?

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Mon Dec 8 17:47:51 UTC 2014

According to <http://gtalug.org/> :

"GTALUG is currently looking for speakers for the 9th December, 2014
meeting. If you are interested in speaking please contact our talks
coordinator."

Let's brainstorm on this.  Here's a poorly organized dump of some of my
thoughts.

- I'd love to hear Lennart talk about what he's learned working on
  routers.

- I'd like to learn what each of you has learned using Linux (or
  perhaps, not able to do using Linux) and what your current
  Linux-related interests are.

- I'd like to hear how people have set up their internet gatways.
  What's worth doing, what's easy, what's hard.
  (It's time for me to revisit this after having a pretty static
  setup for a decade.  I'd be willing to talk about what I've done
  but it is pretty stale.)

- I'm interested in setting up my in-house services like a cloud.
  Perhaps <http://owncloud.org/>.  Motivation: I want to keep control
  of my own data as much as possible.  Can anyone speak to this?

- Subproblem of above: I run MediaWiki already.  Tips and tricks (eg.
  from Drew) about care, feeding, and use would be welcome.

- I'd be willing to share 10 minutes worth of what I've learned about
  little Windows gadgets as Linux platforms.

- I'd love to discuss whether this is interesting and useful
  <http://www.banana-pi.com/eacp_view.asp?id=64>

  This is a version of the Banana Pi with an added ethernet switch:
  5 x 1G eithernet ports.

  The Banana Pi is intended to mimic the Raspberry Pi in some ways but
  with a stronger processor; my impression has been that this is goofy
  and that the Cubieboard2 and Cubietruck <http://cubieboard.org/>
  were more transparent uses of the Allwinner chips.

  But gluing on a switch seems very attractive.

- chatting about peoples' workflow always seems useful: it's not just
  the tools, its how we use them, how we find them useful, and where
  they don't quite meet expectations.

  Examples: backup methodology, distro update methodology, favourite
  editor (leave out tribalism), programming language, etc.

- why Go is interesting <https://golang.org/>.
  Why Rust is interesting <http://www.rust-lang.org/>.
  Why Python 2.x still has a loyal following.

- what are you doing with your _____?  Example: Raspberry Pi.

- How you make your mobile device work with your desktop?

and Question session?  By that I meen: people give a mini-chat about
something they think is interesting and have the rest of us ask
questions in response.