[GTALUG] An essay griping about PGP

Stewart C. Russell scruss at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 14:07:43 UTC 2014

On 14-08-26 11:42 AM, Christopher Browne wrote:
> I rather liked the line about "Cryptography that post-dates the Fresh
> Prince."  :-)
> http://blog.cryptographyengineering.com/2014/08/whats-matter-with-pgp.html

Though there are many rebuttals to that article, I agree with this one most:
“What's The Matter With PGP?”
<https://pthree.org/2014/08/18/whats-the-matter-with-pgp/>

(via the rather thoughtful discussion on MetaFilter:
<https://www.metafilter.com/142215/Whats-the-matter-with-PGP>)

And I'm really not sure why anyone at Keybase would think that this was
the way to do crypto at all:

    /Keybase.io is also a Keybase client, however certain crypto actions
    (signing and decrypting) are limited to users who _store
    client-encrypted copies of their private keys on the server_, an
    optional feature we didn't mention above.  On the website, all
    crypto is performed in JavaScript, in your browser. Some people have
    strong feelings about this, for good reason./ <https://keybase.io/>

If someone else has your private key, it's not very private.

So in summary:

 1. PKI is hard, and even harder to get people to care about
 2. UX for PGP front-ends is generally abysmal (Enigmail gets all 0_o if
    you have the audacity to use MIME, f'rinstance) — perhaps something
    to do with lack of motivated developers due to [1]
 3. E-mail leaks meta-data, which can be used to glean useful
    intelligence without knowing the message.

cheers,
 Stewart