Please Subscribe to the New GTALUG Mailing List

David Collier-Brown davec-b-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Sep 21 15:12:14 UTC 2014

On 09/20/2014 09:16 PM, Walter Dnes wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 01:50:46PM -0400, Myles Braithwaite wrote
>
>> Figured out the issue. I forgot to set the `myhostname` to the FQDN
>> in Postfix. It should work now.
>    OK, I'm subscribed, via the web form.  A couple of questions...
>
> 1) Can I assume that the header...

> will be present in all messages?  I use this to tell procmail to whitelist
> mailing list emails and send them to the appropriate folder...
>
> 2) Hopefully it doesn't run in "Chip Rosenthal mode", where replies go
> only to the original author by default.  For the lists I'm on that do
> this, I have a procmail/formail ruleset that rewrites the "Reply-To:"
> header to point to the mailing list.

The bizarre rewrite is often a kludge to try to get around a failing
anti-spam effort by Yahoo in the US and Canada.  The "From" address of a
remailed message needs to be the list to avoid being rejected (at the
SMTP level!), and people then set the reply-to to the individual so they
get replies.  In most cases reply-to should point to the list, except
for announce lists like ontbirds.

--dave

davecb-0XdUWXLQalXR7s880joybQ at public.gmane.org           |                      -- Mark Twain