Afternoon Tea with LibrePlanet-Ontario, TorontoCrypto and Ubuntu Canada

Bob Jonkman bjonkman-w5ExpX8uLjYAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 11 05:37:20 UTC 2014

Hi Everybodeee! Thanx for welcoming me to the ranks of GTALUG membership
last night!

As I mentioned at the meeting, there's going to be a get-together of
Free/Libre-minded software folks this Saturday afternoon.

The whole thing was started when Sergio Durigan, the organizer of
LibrePlanet-Brazil moved to Toronto and re-activated the
LibrePlanet-Ontario group, and I offered to introduce him
other Free Software groups.

LibrePlanet-Ontario -
http://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:LibrePlanet_Ontario
LibrePlanet exist to promote the use of Free Software in the communities
of Ontario and to support individuals who wish to use or create Free
Software. The goals are similar to those of the Free Software
Foundation. Recently one of LibrePlanet-Brazil's organizers, Sergio
Durigan Jr. moved to Toronto and is now helping organize
LibrePlanet-Ontario. Let's show him a warm Canadian welcome!

TorontoCrypto - https://torontocrypto.org/
CryptoParty is a decentralized, global initiative to introduce the most
basic cryptography software and the fundamental concepts of their
operation to the general public. TorontoCrypto held a workshop on
computer privacy and security software in July; let's practice those new
skills by holding a GnuPG/PGP keysigning and extending the Web of Trust
to the other organizations.

Ubuntu Canada, Toronto chapter -
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CanadianTeam/Toronto/
This weekend is the Ubuntu Global Jam, where the Ubuntu community unites
to work together to improve Ubuntu. We've got some Ubuntu DVDs to give
away; bring your laptop and try it out.

Everyone is welcome to Afternoon Tea, whether or not you're affiliated
with LibrePlanet, TorontoCrypto or Ubuntu Canada.

*What* : Afternoon Tea
*When* : Saturday, 13 September 2014 from 3:00pm to 6:00pm
*Where* : Yueh Tung, 126 Elizabeth Street, Toronto, Ontario
*Website* : http://yuehtungrestaurant.com/
*Map* : http://osm.org/go/ZX6BtDPG?m=
*Register* : http://loco.ubuntu.com/events/ubuntu-ca/2883/detail/

And a week later we're celebrating Software Freedom Day in Kitchener.
It's an all-day event with a stream of presentations including one on
Open Data and one on Open Access publishing, a hands-on workshop on
Scratch programming and one on Privacy and Security with Tor, a film
festival, and an all-day installfest.  Everything is free, both in the
sense of Libre and Gratis. We're even giving away computers at the
installfest (monitors are $20).

*What* : Software Freedom Day
*When* : Saturday, 20 September 2014 from 10:00am to 4:00pm
*Where* : Queen Street Commons Cafe and The Working Centre
*Location* : 43 and 58 Queen Street South, Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
*Map* : http://osm.org/go/ZXnwTzH0?m=
*Schedule* :
http://wiki.softwarefreedomday.org/2014/Canada/Kitchener/TWC?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=Software-Freedom-Day-2014.ics
*Website* : http://kwlug.org/sfd

Hope to see you at either or both events!

- --Bob.

- --

Bob Jonkman <bjonkman-w5ExpX8uLjYAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>          Phone: +1-519-669-0388
http://bob.jonkman.ca/blogs/    http://sn.jonkman.ca/bobjonkman/