Semi OT: Academic Firewall Rules

Stephen stephen-d-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri May 23 08:24:59 UTC 2014

On 14-05-23 02:40 AM, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> I vaguely remember, about 1978, Ryerson and York shared a new
> DecSystem 10 or DecSystem 20.  I got to play with it remotely for the
> short period before it went into real service.  I used a clone of an
> IBM 2741, from the farmhouse we lived in.  We played adventure at
> 134.5 bits/second.
>
> Perhaps something in this recollection is inaccurate.
>
> U of T didn't have as good a system.  There was a a PDP-10, but it was
> only used as a front-end for an IBM 7094 mark II, dealing with cloud
> chamber experiments.  (This was due to Computing Centre vs Physics
> Department politics.)
>
> The Dynamic Graphics Project did have a PDP-11 running UNIX, but that
> was only available to a very few of us.
>
> General time-sharing availability at U of T was pathetic.

This reminds me of a 1984 book that I greatly enjoyed, called
Hackers: Heroes of the Computer Revolution by Steven Levy.

It starts with the MIT Model Railroad club where it is suggested that
the term Hackers originated. It runs through to the beginnings of IBM
and Microsoft. I recommend it. Especially because it is a free download:

http://maben.homeip.net/static/S100/books/heroes%20of%20the%20computer%20revolution.pdf

--
Stephen