Semi OT: Academic Firewall Rules

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri May 23 01:09:31 UTC 2014

On 05/22/2014 05:52 PM, Mauro Souza wrote:
> The vast majority of the computers ran a heavily locked-down Windows
> 2000, with a special driver that hid all .exe file on the system,
> except for the previoysly approved ones, and files created by the
> compilers on a specific folder. And the system had barely 200MB of
> disk available.

Back when I went to Ryerson, we only had an IBM mainframe available.  We
had to use whatever was provided, as we couldn't download anything to
it.  HTML?  There were no browsers back then.  The only remote
connections we had were inbound.  I could call in using my home computer
and terminal emulator app to do my homework.  We even had to carve our
own computer chips from wood...     ;-)

There was still some punch card equipment there, but I never had to use
it.  I also had a SuperCalc class on a Zenith Z89 CP/M computer.