Semi OT: Academic Firewall Rules

David Collier-Brown davec-b-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu May 22 12:23:43 UTC 2014

Because there's no money in the budget, the dysfunctional-company
politics turns into debates on irrelevant points, like what colour of
paper-clip to use and whether to filter bittorrent.

Ork had all those kinds of problems, but since the Philosophy department
was a big sponsor of computing and helped fund our first main (unix)
machine, nexus.yorku.ca, they tended to squash the egregiously stupid.

Both startups and sanity seems to be common functions of Philosophy
departments: Windsor helped bootstrap both Human Kinetics and Computer
Science, and was often an island of sanity in a very silly world.

--dave

davecb-0XdUWXLQalXR7s880joybQ at public.gmane.org           |                      -- Mark Twain