Remote rsync question

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed May 7 19:52:26 UTC 2014

I use rsync a lot, both for backing up to external drives and keeping files
in sync across machines.  I use BTsync between my computer and phone and
tablet, and I think I prefer the more discreet rsync command overall,
although I can see BTsync working for others.  Git is another method I've
seen in use: it's not common, but it does have some significant advantages
(history, easy recovery from accidental deletes).  Choice depends on
personal preference.  If I were starting over and felt more comfortable
with git, I'd go with that - it's probably the most robust.

As for the rsync command itself: I think you'll want
<username>@aa1:/home/waltdnes/ .  I've never used the excludes in any form,
never had much luck with them (possibly just me).  I've always strongly
preferred the --long-form commands to the -l short ones - particularly if
you save the command in a script.  The letters are much more compact ...
and totally unreadable.  But the command you want to make yourself familiar
with is --dry-run which shows you what it would do if this were a real run
... without actually doing it.  Very, very useful for testing.

Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/
gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org