See Giles / ad for next Repair Cafe' (April 12)

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Mar 29 18:35:14 UTC 2014

http://us7.campaign-archive1.com/?u=dda1cb3ab2ef0e701592d69f1&id=ea453f5740&e=e28612dc9e

> Now that's a helpful organization. I'm always saying to people the 3Rs
are in order of priority. Maybe it should be 4Rs so repair can be added?

> If I was a zealot I might say Giles didn't fix that laptop ;-)
>
> Seems like a worthy organization for me to donate time to. Thanks for
posting.

Well, now that that's out there ...

Repair Cafe fixes a lot more than computers.  But obviously that's my area
of expertise and the list's area of interest ...  I would say about half
our computer "fixes" are explaining to people that the computer they've
brought in is too old to spend the money on parts to fix it.  The better
instances are where we can tell them that they can keep using the computer
by attaching an external screen/mouse/keyboard/power supply.  The best of
course are when we can fix the thing entirely - witness two happy people in
the picture Hugh advertised ...  I remember her, I'm not sure I remember
"the fix," although I suspect it was fairly trivial (by my standards, not
hers).  It's one of the many joys of Repair Cafe: you get to feel like a
sorcerer, because what you do looks like magic to the majority of people
who bring in busted pieces of technology.  It's a great crew of people and
a very fun job.

Repair Cafe can always use more volunteer fixers if you have the time, the
skills, and the inclination.  Four hours (plus travel) once a month, or
when you can.  Get in touch with me if you have any questions, or you can
contact the organizers through the website at
http://repaircafetoronto.ca/contact/ .  Or just come check it out if you're
not sure - it's free.

If you have anything busted - clothing, household goods, computers, floor
polishers, clocks, whatever, we'll have a go at fixing it. The next Repair
Cafe is at the Toronto Tool Library, 1803 Danforth Ave, on Saturday April
12 from 11 to 3.

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/