Usb Modeswitch - Update

Russell Reiter rreiter91-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 26 23:37:26 UTC 2014

I thought I'd update this in case anyone else is working with an older
phone with a crippled rom. Apparently this phone didn't allow for
tethering for an Internet connection. Although the hardware is
present, the rom doesn't address it.

After I grepped the available modeswitch data for a Motorola product
id for a phone and came up empty. I started looking for apps for the
phone. I don't mind paying, I just didn't want to root the phone. Most
apps wanted to root the phone but I found easytether lite which worked
except that the light version won't do https, gmail and a few other
things.

You have to install some client software on the computer. This app
seems to bypass modeswitching and this is the odd part, in order to
use the app you select "manage sim card" as the connection option. You
also have to allow debug access on the phone.

I would expect that this would mount the sim card as a block device
but when the app's usb function is enabled on the phone these devices
show up

crw-rw---T 1 root dialout 4, 64 Mar 24 20:07 ttyS0
crw-rw---T 1 root dialout 4, 65 Mar 24 20:07 ttyS1
crw-rw---T 1 root dialout 4, 66 Mar 24 20:07 ttyS2
crw-rw---T 1 root dialout 4, 67 Mar 24 20:07 ttyS3

as opposed to showing up as ttyUSBS0 etc. as they do when
usb_modeswitch does the work.

In any case and however it is done, I'm assuming hooks into the
Android Debug Bridge, it worked well enough that I registered my copy
and can access all features.