Sysadmins; the NSA is trying to crack YOU.

Scott Elcomb psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Mar 22 00:37:14 UTC 2014

On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 6:56 PM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> https://firstlook.org/theintercept/article/2014/03/20/inside-nsa-secret-efforts-hunt-hack-system-administrators/
>
>> Across the world, people who work as system administrators keep
>> computer networks in order - and this has turned them into unwitting
>> targets of the National Security Agency for simply doing their
>> jobs. According to a secret document provided by NSA whistleblower
>> Edward Snowden, the agency tracks down the private email and Facebook
>> accounts of system administrators (or sys admins, as they are often
>> called), before hacking their computers to gain access to the networks
>> they control.

$0.05: After everything that's come before I really don't find this at
all surprising. It's a great example of why I feel domain experts are
needed in politics though.

Lawmakers (and their staff) who don't understand the how's and why's
of modern computing are bound to craft unsound policy based on biased
opinion and advice - be it from lobbyists or otherwise.

With all the inter-related issues - privacy, infosec, IoT, etc - not
having sysadmins/devops/devs as politicians means we're leaving the
debugging of a bug-ridden (and bugged ;-) system to the users.

--
  Scott Elcomb         @psema4
  http://psema4.com/pubkey.txt