FYI - EdX offering free online Introduction to Linux course

Russell Reiter rreiter91-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Mar 21 16:21:33 UTC 2014

Hi, I support a few people who want to learn more but not necessarily to go
pro. The ability to audit this course is probably exactly what they need
and I'll pass it on.

A decade and a half ago, or thereabouts, I was asked to co-ordinate the BOF
for tlug at Compufest. I was fortunate to be able to convince John "Maddog"
Hall to come to our meeting after I went to hear him speak.

I had the opportunity to talk to him about early UNIX development and since
I was interested in providing professional linux services, I asked him
whether this kind of training would have value in the marketplace.

John told me this. In the early days and this probably holds true today,
the PHD"s wrote the code, but it was the operators, who were self trained
in that business operation of computers, who really knew what was going on.

So in that spirit of helpfulness which I learned from John and my old
friend and former list member Jan Carlson, thanks for the link.

Regards
Russell