Mappy Hour and Meetup (was: GTALUG and Meetup

Richard Weait richard-gNTHUr35LhcAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Mar 11 19:36:37 UTC 2014

On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 11:55 AM, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> | From: Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org>
>
> | This is the first I ever hear of meet up.  I suppose that's not a good
> | sign for it. :)

[ ... ]

> And I'm interested in Richard's Mappy Hour (yesterday!) but haven't made
> it:
> <http://www.meetup.com/OpenStreetMap-Toronto/>

The calendar and group email from meetup is nice, but can be fully
replaced by actual open tools.  Using meetup really just makes me feel
like I need to bleach my Open Loving self.  :(

Anybody who wishes to attend Mappy Hour may do so without joining
meetup and without leaving footprints there.  Do please send me an
email rsvp so that we know how many seats we'll need though.

So why is Mappy Hour in meetup?  For the thing that can not be
replaced immediately by an open tool.  Meetup attracts an audience of
people who are prepared to go out to an in-person event.  And that is
it.  Mappy Hour is an in-person event, meetup has that audience, and
will reach out to those in the area and tell them about Mappy Hour.
And that saves the organizers of Mappy Hour from having to do that.

We get new registrations "all the time"* because of the outreach that
meetup does.

Look forward to seeing you there some time.

* /me waves hands; makes up a fake rate for "all the time".