20ish years old: Gray's survey of Computer Industry Laws

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Jun 8 21:41:34 UTC 2014

I just came across this (perhaps again -- my memory is imperfect).  Still
interesting.
<research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/people/gray/talks/sixteenlaws.ppt>

I was looking for a citation for "departmental computer" which seemed to
be an important term in the 1980s but is very hard to find on the web.  I
was editting the "mainframe" entry in wikipedia.

BTW, the last law covered was Grosch's Law.  I met him when he moved to
Toronto about a decade ago.  Only half of his law is presented.  He not
only said that twice the money gets you four times the computing, he said
that you only got twice as much actual effective work as a result.