DSL Issues: Solved

phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Sun Jun 8 21:27:47 UTC 2014

For those who are following the saga of my DSL problems, the system seems
to be up and running again.

I split the phone system near the demarcation point (where the phone line
enters the house), using a Comtest Networks CPE-01V POTS/DSL splitter.
Comtest don't sell to the public, but you can obtain one through Hall
Telecommunications (1.800.265.2667). They charged something like $30
including shipping by Purolator. This is the splitter suggested by Len
Sorensen.

I generally prefer devices with screw terminal strips. This spitter makes
a punchdown connection, but that seems to work quite well. You insert the
unstripped wires into the connector and then press down a tab to force the
wires into insulation-displacement forks. (There's a YouTube video showing
how to do this.)

Then I used two conductors in CAT5 cable (obtained from Home Depot) to run
up an unused chimney from the basement to the third floor. This goes to a
dedicated outlet plate, which connects to the DSL modem. The phone network
is now decoupled from the DSL feed at the splitter so the DSL connection
should be more reliable. In any case, it appears to work.

One suggestion if you're doing phone or network wiring in a building. If
possible, bring each outlet back to a patch point or terminal strip,
rather than daisy-chaining them together. This way, if something goes bad,
you can isolate it very easily. Phone or network cable is cheap and a
daisy-chained system is a nightmare to troubleshoot.

One of the things I learned from this exercise: If you use a DSL
connection, then the provider (Teksavvy in this case) only provides up to
the demarcation point. If your modem works at the demarc but not inside
the house, you the customer are responsible for fixing that. I can picture
a situation where the signal strength is marginal but sufficient at the
demarc, but not any distance inside the building. I don't know how you
would fix that. Maybe someone needs to make a 'DSL amplifier'.

Peter