Best DSL Modem?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Sun Jun 1 18:44:11 UTC 2014

On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 06:42:43PM -0400, phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org wrote:
> Something recently changed with our Teksavvy DSL connection (they
> 'optimized it, apparently) and now the modem (Sagecom 2864) works close to
> the demarkation point in the basement and at phone outlets on the first
> and second floor, but not on the third floor, which is a little bit
> further. I suspect the signal has gone down a bit in strength and it's not
> enough for the modem.
>
> Unplugging phones has no effect.
>
> This is highly inconvenient since everything is cabled back to that modem.
> Changing over to wireless or some other solution is a major disruption.
>
> The phone still works fine at the third floor outlet, so the connection is
> basically OK.

Working at 64kbit isn't the same as working at 25Mbit.

> Anyone have any thoughts about a good DSL modem to try in this situation?
>
> Any advice appreciated.

For which kind of DSL?

After all VDSL2 needs different modems than ADSL2 or ADSL.

Looking it up, it seems the 2864 is in fact a VDSL2 modem.  When I had
mine installed they ran a dedicated line from the demarc point for the
modem, and put the splitter/filter by the demarc point (which means I
don't need filters anywhere in the house which otherwise I would have).
It also means there are no splits on the line going to the modem which
tends to help the signal quality a lot.

Of course I got my VDSL2 link early enough that I have a cellpipe.
I should probably talk to teksavvy about switching to a sagemcom that
I buy instead of paying $8 rental each month.

--
Len Sorensen