Any recommended small cheap tablets? Approx 6 or 7 inches.

Scott Elcomb psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Jul 27 04:07:30 UTC 2014

On Sun, Jul 20, 2014 at 3:50 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> | From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org>
>
> |   I'm not looking to replace my desktop or cellphone.  I'm more
> | interested in something that I can carry around to use as a...
> | * camera (movies+stills)
> | * wifi web browsing
> | * e-reader
> | * jotting down small notes
>
> It *really* depends on what you find is convenient to carry around.
<snip>
> The Samsung Note 8 is being blown out by Target at 50% off.  If you
> can find one, that might be a good choice.  I haven't looked into it.

It's a bit on the large size but not a bad unit overall.

The S Pen [1] is a nice touch though I didn't really find it useful
until coming across SketchBook [2] and Write [3].

The included S Note app has a handwriting-to-text feature that feels
clumsy and AFAIK is limited to the app. I haven't tried the
StylusMobile [4] app (requested permissions seem excessive) but it may
be an option if one needs handwriting as an input method.

[1] <http://techlife.samsung.com/top-10-apps-samsung-s-pen-1357.html>
[2] <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.adsk.sketchbookhd&hl=en>
[3] <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.styluslabs.write>
[4] <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.visionobjects.stylusmobile.v3_2_store>