Any recommended small cheap tablets? Approx 6 or 7 inches.

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Jul 20 19:50:42 UTC 2014

| From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org>

|   I'm not looking to replace my desktop or cellphone.  I'm more
| interested in something that I can carry around to use as a...
| * camera (movies+stills)
| * wifi web browsing
| * e-reader
| * jotting down small notes

It *really* depends on what you find is convenient to carry around.

I find it really hard to know if one of these works for me without
actually living with one for a while.

I like my Nexus 10 (10") tablet but it rarely makes sense to carry it
outside the house.  I feel that more use-cases are handled by a small
notebook and the size difference/weight difference isn't enough of a
win for the Nexus 10.

Even 7" tablets are too big for my pockets in Summer.

I have not become fluent in typing on a screen so jotting down small
notes would not be great.  Samsung Note tablets have accurate and
precise styli that MIGHT make note-taking work better (I've never
found that, but I haven't tried hard enough).

Many people swear by Microsoft OneNote.  A version is available for
Android.

Add-on keyboards mostly look awkward.  I did see a really neat-looking
iPad Mini + keyboard-case combo on the subway.

So: why isn't a phablet (largish smartphone) the right tradeoff for
you?

The Nexus 7 tablet, second generation, looks great for what it is.
That's what I'd pick if I wanted that kind of thing.  Look at Red Flag
Deals for what the latest best deal is (Staples, I think).

The Samsung Note 8 is being blown out by Target at 50% off.  If you
can find one, that might be a good choice.  I haven't looked into it.