(Way off topic) Wanted: pen plotter

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 31 21:00:29 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 11:46:40AM -0500, Stewart Russell wrote:
> I'm looking for an electro-mechanical plotter, preferably working. Thought
> I'd ask here before hitting eBay just in case someone had one stashed away.
>
> (Please reply off list if possible.)

I couldn't find an easy way to do that without cutting and pasting.

My dad has his pen plotter sitting in the basement (those eventually
became impossible to run with modern CAD software, and Epson had a sale
on a 9700).  It seemed a shame to throw it out, so it has been sitting
a few years now.

It is a Calcomp PaceSetter 2036, so it works at up to 36" width (that
will do E size paper which is 34x44").  It has both the standard serial
interface and the highspeed parallel interface (with 1MB buffer, which
was rather expensive add on card 20 years ago).  Probably the most
durable, precise (2036dpi when using the calcomp command language)
and fast (about 1m/s movement speed) pen plotter ever made.  It can
emulate HP-GL, but the precision drops to HP level and it's not nearly
as nice to work with.  The command language is documented in the manual.

There should still be some working pens lying around with it, as well
as 2 or 3 of the 8 pen carusels.

And yes all those specs are from memory.  I know it well.

--
Len Sorensen