Make Web Not War: Astroturf?

Myles Braithwaite me-qIX3qoPyADtH8hdXm2+x1laTQe2KTcn/ at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 30 15:55:36 UTC 2014

Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> I've never known anyone to "love" Microsoft products, especially nobody
> who claims to "love everything open". No mention of Linux, Apache, BSD, etc.
>
> And then... look at the copyright on the website.
>
> Pfft.
>
> Then again... does anyone here know the people there? I'm happy to be
> proven wrong. But on the surface this looks like some high quality M$
> astroturf.

I went to one of their events a few years ago and had amazing
conversations about the open web. It was definitely worth going.

It was heavily sponsored by Microsoft but I wouldn't call it "high
quality M$ astroturf" (at least it wasn't as bad when Yahoo! had a
similar event in Toronto now that was some high quality astroturf).

Azure does support Linux VMs[1] and their web site is running on CentOS
and Apache (and because it's WordPress I would assume PHP and MySQL):

$ curl --head www.webnotwar.ca
HTTP/1.1 200 OK