HDMI to VGA adapter has arrived.

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 29 15:12:32 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 07:40:05PM -0500, William Muriithi wrote:

> http://canada.newark.com/element14/piview/cable-assembly-hdmi-to-vga-adapter/dp/07W8937
> >
> > Just to expand on this a little, I bought the above adapter for use
> > with one of my Raspberry Pies. Having spent $35 on a computer, I
> > wasn't about to drop another $100+ plus on a new monitor, not when I
> > had a couple of 15" LCD VGA monitors available. Reading some of the
> > Raspberry Pi message boards turns up the fact that some of the HDMI to
> > VGA adapters don't get along with the Raspberry Pi (the adapters steal
> > power from the Pi, and some demand more power than the Pi can
> > supply...). Bottom line for me was that the "PI View" adapter was a
> > safe choice to allow me to re-use monitors with a Raspberry Pi... The
> > nice bit here being that these adapters will work in, as far as I
> > know, all HDMI to VGA situations.
>
> Okay, just realized my mistake and feel like an idiot. I bought this cable
> the other day in order to watch online stuff on TV. The TV has HDMI and the
> desktop only has VGA.
>
> Spent a while wondering why its not working.  Then today, took the cable to
> work to test a hypothesis  as there is HDMI cable desktop there.  No
> surprising, it do work if the source is HDMI driving the VGA. I haven't
> hard luck the other way.
>
> Does this mean VGA can't drive HMDI or am I missing something? Any solution
> around it?

VGA is analog, HDMI is digital.  No way without active convertion
electronics to go from one to the other.

DVI-I consists of both DVI-A and DVI-D.  DVI-A is VGA signaling, DVI-D
is HDMI signaling, so a DVI port can usually drive HDMI or VGA with
a simple adapter for the connector.

And yes an HDMI to VGA adapter is one way given the active electronics.
In fact converting digital to analog is much easier than the other way.

You would want something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1080P-Audio-VGA-to-HDMI-HD-HDTV-Video-Converter-Box-Adapter-for-PC-Laptop-DVD-/111219723013

--
Len Sorensen