HDMI to VGA adapter has arrived.

William Muriithi william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 29 00:40:05 UTC 2014

http://canada.newark.com/element14/piview/cable-assembly-hdmi-to-vga-adapter/dp/07W8937

> Just to expand on this a little, I bought the above adapter for use
> with one of my Raspberry Pies. Having spent $35 on a computer, I
> wasn't about to drop another $100+ plus on a new monitor, not when I
> had a couple of 15" LCD VGA monitors available. Reading some of the
> Raspberry Pi message boards turns up the fact that some of the HDMI to
> VGA adapters don't get along with the Raspberry Pi (the adapters steal
> power from the Pi, and some demand more power than the Pi can
> supply...). Bottom line for me was that the "PI View" adapter was a
> safe choice to allow me to re-use monitors with a Raspberry Pi... The
> nice bit here being that these adapters will work in, as far as I
> know, all HDMI to VGA situations.

Okay, just realized my mistake and feel like an idiot. I bought this cable
the other day in order to watch online stuff on TV. The TV has HDMI and the
desktop only has VGA.

Spent a while wondering why its not working.  Then today, took the cable to
work to test a hypothesis  as there is HDMI cable desktop there.  No
surprising, it do work if the source is HDMI driving the VGA. I haven't
hard luck the other way.

Does this mean VGA can't drive HMDI or am I missing something? Any solution
around it?

William