A Helping Hand when I needed one !

Tim Tisdall tisdall-DXT9u3ndKiSh7up9GtFB90EOCMrvLtNR at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 24 14:34:42 UTC 2014

^_^  Yes, that's the first thing I tried.  Unfortunately the Acer Aspire is
BRUTALLY hard to open up.  Here's the 12 minutes video I used to figure it
out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq7jH3jFerI   After all that work I
discovered there wasn't really any dust in there.

My guess is it's the unit's design.  If you look at 11:48 in the video you
can see that the CPU is way on the right side of the laptop while the fan
is way on the left.  There's a long metal channel connecting the two
together.  I don't know how common this kind of design is, but it seems
like it'd be far better to have the CPU and the fan closer together.  There
is noticeable heat coming out of the cooling vent, but not enough to keep
the CPU at a normal temperature with moderate use.  I also noticed I get
overheating when watching videos on YouTube!

For anyone else with similar issues:  I deal with it using a little program
called Psensor (in the Ubuntu repo).  You can set alarm temperatures on it
so you can get a warning with it's starting to overheat.  Essentially I get
warned when it's overheating instead of finding out when the system just
shuts itself off.