screen vs. tmux - WAS: Does KDE etc.

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 21 16:21:07 UTC 2014

On 21 January 2014 11:12, Matt Seburn <mattseburn-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> I was a longtime user of gnu screen, but discovered tmux 6 months ago or
> so and haven't looked back.  I should check out terminator.  Does anyone
> know what the key differences are between them?
>
> With my current workspace setup (on KDE, if it matters), I have one
> terminal window stickied to all of my desktops.  I separate my browser
> windows by desktop, and have my terminal work separated into tmux
> sessions.  Works great for me.

As a basic user of screen, I find that there are a couple small but
annoying things I cannot do in tmux (and I couldn't even tell you what now
as I haven't used tmux in a while - renaming sessions maybe, something else
as well) that I can in screen.  So, while I think tmux is probably "the way
forward," I'm wondering what would motivate a long-time screen user to move
from one to the other.  I guess I'm hoping you'll tell us the good about
using tmux and I'll finally make the move and stick with it ...

Thanks.

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/