Rescue software RAID system

Ben Walton bdwalton-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 21 02:56:49 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 6:17 PM, William Muriithi
<william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Evening,
>
> I am curious if someone has gone through this, I have a centos 6 system with
> the operating system running on RAID 1 (software based).
>
> Sometimes over weekend, one of the drive failed. That exposed a mistake I
> did when setting up the RAID. It looks like grub is pointed to one of the
> disk, which unfortunately happen to be the broken one.
>
> I have tried a bit of things that don't seem to work. My biggest hope was to
> repoint grub from hd0 to hd1. I did that from the grub prompt and didn't
> work. Seem to still be poking the dead drive instead of the good pair.
>
> So I booted from a rescue CD, used mdadmin to start RAID device, mounted the
> device and tried to chroot into the mount directory and don't work, don't
> seem to have chroot binary in my rescue environment.

If this is the centos rescue environment, it definitely should include
chroot. The approach you're taking seems fine to me. I've done this in
the past.

Also, in the unfortunate event that you have problems during the
rebuild, be aware that unless the first failed disk is completely
fubared, you may be able to use some of its data if required.
Hopefully not, but keep it in mind.

Thanks
-Ben