Linus Torvalds discussing source control programs and GIT

ted leslie ted.leslie-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 20 03:04:47 UTC 2014

The servers certainly work well or superior with Linux, I would assume HP
and other high end clients are at least back ending the Plastic on Linux.
The client gui, I loved it because it worked on Linux, and I thought it was
great, but gui aside, if you go down to CLI level, if one prefers, it would
be the same across all platforms. I thought they would be using gtk# on all
3 platforms, so the client experience should be the same given its a
linux/unix GUI, but they may have the win client being WPF, but then it is
all supposed to be Mono, so that wouldn't make any sense.
I like open source too, but even if Plastic stopped the free license for 10
users or whatever it is, I would be fine for 10-20 more years just using
the last free version, unless there is some miracle advancements in
merging. Then if someone did do a much better merge, that would be worth
paying a bit for IMO.
I would be surprised if they ever revoked the free, but maybe they could
take it down to 2-3 person groups size. Of course if you have project that
needs 10+ on it, then there would be a cost, but if their GIT client is
good? I am going to test that out soon, as I have a project on GIT hub that
I want to work with via a gui client. Maybe their GIT gui will make it so i
don't care whats beneath as the SCM engine.

-tl