How to read a 1-wire sensor with C on a Raspberry Pi

Mel Wilson mwilson-Ja3L+HSX0kI at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 17 18:04:31 UTC 2014

On Fri, 2014-01-17 at 12:52 -0500, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> | From: Mel Wilson <mwilson-Ja3L+HSX0kI at public.gmane.org>

> | From: Bill Thanis <qwerty172-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>
[ ... ]
> The Raspberry Pi usually runs Linux and Bill's ideas might apply.  But
> I expect most access to the GPIO pins on the RP look more like AVR
> than higher-level Unix API.

Yeah, I think Bill's reply was really meant for Jason directly, but no
problem.  AFAIK there's a thick layer of drivers between a RasPi
application program and the GPIO pins.  The code I've actually seen has
used cat or echo to write text to magic files (under /dev , I think?)
for the purpose of opening access to pins and sending and receiving bits
on them.  There's a lot there I still need to learn.

	Mel.