Women and TLUG - a personal rant

Mike Kallies mike.kallies-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 16 18:57:22 UTC 2014

TLUG is a volunteer organisation which has been in existence for
roughly 20 years.

There are members of the group who are working very hard to change the
character of the organisation while preserving the group as a whole.
It's not fair to ignore their efforts, and it is not fair for them to
be pressured to discuss  private conversations in the public mailing
list.

It does take time to ensure that everyone's voice is heard on these
matters, it also takes time for the organisation to adopt a standard
policy on how to handle these matters.

There is no one "Voice of TLUG" who can respond instantly to comments
on the list or unilaterally ban people.  It's not fair to expect
somebody to assess, evaluate and execute like that.  The steps to
create such a process are underway, which is why we're voting on a
code of conduct.

Each person involved is a human being.  People are fallible, and it's
not always so clear as to what the right course of action should be.

I don't think anyone stood by and ignored William's statement.  I take
exception that it is the norm for TLUG, and I take exception with the
specific directed attacks at William's character.  William has been a
long time member and deserves an opportunity to make amends of his own
accord.  To the best of my knowledge, he has not made such a statement
in the past.

Please do not make assumptions about what kind of conversations are
not occurring off-list.

In the case of the previous member who was making outrageous comments,
I believe they were removed from the list after an unrepentant pattern
of ill comments.  He was a contributing member of the group, but made
no effort to correct his behaviour.

I encourage anyone who wants to be involved in setting policy for TLUG
to consider running for executive or stepping up and volunteering.
People with experience in the creation of community policies and
handling issues of professionalism and conduct would be much
appreciated.

-Mike