Women and TLUG - a personal rant

John Myshrall jmyshrall-v+ARZjKqHIj3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 16 18:44:11 UTC 2014

On 14-01-16 12:38 PM, Matt Seburn wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 11:55 AM, Mauro Souza <thoriumbr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
> <mailto:thoriumbr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>> wrote:
>
>     I don't felt that people on this list condoned William's
>     misbehavior, quite the opposite.
>

> The group as a whole did not condone his behaviour (most condemned it)
> but a few certainly did.
>
>     Even with this issues, I don't recommend anybody leaving the list.
>     The good people are not to leave. The bad people are.
>

> Agreed, however allowing this kind of behaviour to continue unchecked
> will necessarily lead to good people leaving.  If the administrators
> decide they don't care to keep this space free from bullying and
> harassment, there's nothing I can do to change it and I'm not going to
> waste my time trying.
>
> Matt

I deleted most these messages but them decided to weigh in as it seems
to have filled my inbox.

The fact that the vast majority of people have weighed in should speak
volumes. Yes the comment was over the top period! Was it meant to be
malicious that could be debated. It still shouldn't not have been said.
The genie is out of the bottle. What is the hard thing to do is move on
and learn by it.

Does everyone know William. He seems like a nice person to me and I have
met him a couple times. This looks more like a "very bad" choice of
words to demonstrate his point about why people attend. E-mail lacks
emotion and can be in many ways a terrible way to express a point. It's
quite worse when english is you second language and the true meaning of
what you are saying is lost on everyone else. You think you are funny,
but you are anything but.

I actually met the "Bad Russian" he was a nice guy too and was very
grateful for components the TLUG members myself included gave him to
build a box. He was bitter about Canada with the "Immigrate to Canada we
have good jobs for skilled people" hoax. I know so many educated
immigrants that got bit. He spoke broken english. I know he also spoke
several languages.

I understand that F / M members are upset, some are intimidated and I'm
empathize with you. I also think William is probably shell shocked by
the amount of responses. Perhaps I missed something but before we
condemn a person consider do we have all the facts. I'm not condoning
but maybe kinder hearts may be of benefit.

William perhaps it time to stand up clarify and apologize. There is no
harm in admitting a mistake. The harm comes from not learning from it.

Peace out

John