Women and TLUG - a personal rant

John Moniz john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 16 17:37:18 UTC 2014

On 01/15/2014 09:31 PM, James Knott wrote:
> William Park wrote:
>> Come on, guys.  This bitching about TLUG meeting is strange to me and
>> counter productive as group.  People come to the meeting because they
>> want to learning something, and people don't come to the meeting because
>> they have nothing to learn.  Heckling and harassment are side issues.
>> -
> I find it very annoying when the heckling interrupts the presentation,
> sometimes to the point where the presenter is sidetracked to the point
> that the presentation is a waste of my time.  I have to come in from
> Mississauga and I want to hear the presentation, not someone's interrupting.

Speaking up at times of disruptions really works. Some speakers have the
skill to handle such disruptions (heckling is not really the right word,
I don't think), but most do not and should not have to possess that skill.

At the old NewTLUG meetings (which I attended frequently right from the
very first one to the time they ended) some of the same disturbers from
the TLUG meetings were also there for a time, causing many, many
interruptions. It became a waste of a trip and time spent at the
meeting. Someone spoke up (name is not important) and basically told the
clique, who liked to sit together as a group, that we were here to
listen to THAT presenter and if they wished to provide their own input
to the subject, we would likely attend their presentation as well.

The interruptions stopped, not only for the rest of the current
presentation, but also for most future presentations. NewTLUG meetings
became a pleasure to attend. An unwanted side effect was that the
hecklers stopped coming to the meetings. They were welcome there, but
better they leave than me - that was my thought anyway. They were
clearly there for the wrong reasons.

Speaking up works very well!

John.