What is acceptable in TLUG?

Mike Kallies mike.kallies-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 16 12:52:41 UTC 2014

> The position I would be in favour of is: conversation should be polite, and
> what would be considered acceptable in a workplace.

A code of conduct has been proposed to the board, discussions about
the details were going on over the holidays.

There's a lot being discussed on it.  Zero tolerance vs.
reconciliation and education, scope and applicability (informal
events? christmas parties?), how to handle "violations", whether to
lean towards TLUG as a professional group or as a social club,
accessibility as discrimination, precedent in the FOSS community,
outsiders who can provide policy input, revision, review etc. etc.

The elected board members will be voting as representatives of the
TLUG membership.  The outcome will affect how complaints will be
identified and managed.

I don't want to over-speak my authority (I have none on this), but I
don't want it to appear as though past complaints have been ignored.
A lot of work has been done in this area.  The timing of this most
recent issue is difficult, but is a test of the draft policy and
highlights the need for it.

I'm only piping up because I don't want to see these threads derail
the process of creating a solid code of conduct.

Again, I have no authority and don't speak for the board.

-Mike