Women and TLUG - a personal rant

Aruna Hewapathirane aruna.hewapathirane-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 16 05:02:09 UTC 2014

How well you communicate can make or break your professional image. It
directly influences how others view your work and performance ? As well as
your prospects for career advancement and mobility ?

Unfortunately, being diplomatic, tactful and credible doesn’t always come
naturally to people ( it sure did not to me, it was a skill acquired over a
period of many long and hard years and still being worked upon. ) . Even
when it does, such communication can easily be derailed by emotions and
conflicts. As it has for me right now... am being pulled in many directions
right now :(

When Renetta first brought up this issue, though I have never met her or
know anything at all about her I was appalled. "I" have cousin sisters and
I thought what if someone did this to one of "my" sisters ? I do not think
I would be diplomatic nor tactful but promptly resort to physical assault
and battery and hell with the consequences. But that does not solve the
problem nor do I have any real desire to see Don Jail from the interior. (
Then again I do not prescribe to acts of violence of any kind..)

When a professor of all people used expletives I saw red, but I also wanted
to understand why would someone at that level use such language? After much
thought , I realized no matter what the credentials we are all human, with
all the weaknesses and failings that come with being human. Still, I took
matters into my own hands... I was angry and not thinking straight and i
did something I wish I had not now. Too late damage already done. ( The
expletives stopped though.. )

I believe in giving others the benefit of the doubt.. so I thought maybe
the person who made that outrageous generalization isn’t really
insensitive. Maybe this person has had a painful experience that made him
overreact ?  I tried to see things from both perspectives.

I am disappointed, and sad that I have to write this email to this
particular group. I am very new to the list but I have come to feel safe
and comfortable among you all in this short period. And I honestly believe
it is our diversity that is our strength. The diversity that brings
strength will also at times manifest in forms not acceptable to society or
our current environment.

If we as a group can work within an anti-oppressive framework that promotes
social justice and equity. And we strive to reduce the impact of racism,
sexism, heterosexism, homophobia, transphobia, ableism, ageism, classism,
and all other forms of any such phobia.

If we as a group are committed to the greater and *Meaningful
Involvement*of People in all aspects of our work, and we strive to be
transparent and
accountable I still feel we can make this work and work well as a group.

About Williams comment I only have this to say,

if one is a recently elected board member, that is a position in which and
one needs to demonstrate non-judgmental, non-offensive and responsible
behavior. And it is not my business to say anything other than I feel the
right thing to do would be to offer an apology and move forward together as
a group and put all this down to a lesson learnt ?

In Solidarity - Aruna  ( Yes I am fully aware speaking your mind can get
one killed.. )

--
*Aruna Hewapathirane*
Consultant/Trainer