Women and TLUG - a personal rant

Stewart C. Russell scruss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 16 02:37:39 UTC 2014

On 14-01-15 07:53 PM, William Park wrote:

> Come on, guys.  This bitching about TLUG meeting is strange to me and
> counter productive as group.

Actually, no; it's very productive to constructively criticize something
you want to see improve. In the link that Colin posted, it's written up
under “Geek Social Fallacy #2: Friends Accept Me As I Am”:
http://www.plausiblydeniable.com/opinion/gsf.html
— read it, it's good.

So, while I know the TLUG directors have tried their best, I have to say
that the new room at Ryerson is definitely sub-standard. In the days of
pretending to be associated with UofT, at least the rooms were big
enough that the annoying back-channel chatter didn't prevent you from
hearing everything.

> People come to the meeting because they
> want to learning something, and people don't come to the meeting because
> they have nothing to learn.

While TLUG has a roster of genuine subject matter experts who are a joy
to listen to, there are a number of folks at meetings who - maybe - just
come to give their 2¢ on whatever topic is being presented. I understand
that it's sometimes hard to contain one's natural exuberance about
sharing knowledge, but it's better to be kind than correct, so we should
strive to remember that a presenter is just giving their experience of
their way of running their system. It may be vastly different from the
way we'd do it, but if it works, good!

 Stewart

(who may have occasionally used “cat file | …”, but is yet to run out of
processes to do so)