Women and TLUG - a personal rant

Myles Braithwaite me-qIX3qoPyADtH8hdXm2+x1laTQe2KTcn/ at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 15 18:52:16 UTC 2014

Digimer wrote:
> As a multiple-time presenter, the heckling/interruptions were, far and
> away, the most annoying and rude thing. I've presented numerous other
> places and largely stopped presenting at TLUG because of this. I had
> hoped to try presenting again this month, but work got in the way. I
> still hope to reschedule, and I do hope this is no longer an issue.
>
> The problem seems to be a deep seated desire by some to show how
> intelligent they are by interrupting the presenter to point out
> perceived flaws. It makes for a very uninviting environment, male or
> female.

The best thing to do if you don't want to be heckled at your talk is to
just layout the ground rules of asking questions before the meeting
<http://gtalug.org/wiki/Guide_to_Presenting_at_GTALUG#Participation>.

But I do agree (as a multiple-time presenter myself and sometimes
heckler) that when the heckling issue gets to out of hand the organizers
of GTALUG should be the ones to put a stop to it not the speaker.

--
Myles Braithwaite | http://mylesb.ca/e