Linux Kernel Network Subsystem Patching

Aruna Hewapathirane aruna.hewapathirane-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Jan 11 23:59:12 UTC 2014

>" lighter and faster"  that means go with the "GCC screen saver"
linux distribution or as its also known by the name  gentoo.   >:)

Let me clarify and explain the need 'why' I want it 'lighter and faster' .
I have a ancient D915 motherboard ( Please don't laugh ) with 2GB Ram and
on board integrated video with a Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU runni9ng at
3.06GHz.

Recently I noticed top showing me a lot more than the usual load average
and I thought let me hyperthread, enabled in BIOS but strangely some
applications actually took longer to load and some were slow than before ?
Also had strange incoming connections from all over, so being paranoid I
installed mac-changer in a shell script so at each boot it changes my MAC
then the load average did drop but it is still not the 0.02 a pristine
install used to show me.

While compiling the kernel it took for ever, and if I render something in
Blender I can go get groceries from No-Frills drop in at cafe time to say
hello to my crack head buddies and have a ciggy then walk home only to see
it's still not done. Takes a long time so these are a few reasons I want to
comiple and tweak a kernel that matches my hardware and hopefully will have
a responsive system again instead of this sluggish beast that is a pain to
work on at times :-)

Oh, the desktop ( am running gnome classic ) sudeenly totally freezes and
the only way out is to CTRL+F1 and drop into a shell then sudo shutdown -r
now which I am getting weary of now...

I will checkout gentoo thank's ted.

-tl