Linux Kernel Network Subsystem Patching

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat Jan 11 15:47:58 UTC 2014

| From: Aruna Hewapathirane <aruna.hewapathirane-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>

| I ran make defconfig, ran make allyesconfig, then make scripts and finally
| make M= net/ to build tehy subsytem alone and this is what it tells me ...
|
| aruna at aruna-desktop:/media/kernel-dev/dev/linux-git$ make M=net/

It has been years since I built a kernel -- there rarely seems to be a
need.

I recommend that you start with clean source, without your patch, and
try building.  It will likely be a learning experience.

Only patch after you have perfected building and installing.

I infer from previous posts that you are using Ubuntu.  Ubuntu has its
own packaged kernels and hence its own protocol for building a kernel.
Try
(1) starting from one of their kernel source packages, and
(2) using their official method of building the kernel.
That should minimize the chance of problems.