[SOLVED]: Is there an uptodate list of current browser user agents somewhere?

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 10 20:22:58 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 09:26:13AM -0500, Stewart C. Russell wrote
> On 14-01-09 03:28 PM, Walter Dnes wrote:
> >
> > * all known software UA strings
> >   http://www.useragentstring.com/pages/useragentstring.php
>
> User agent detection and capability determination is part of the HTML5
> standard. If you're pretending to be something you're not, you're on
> your own with how well current websites will respond.

  1) I'm a paying subscriber of live365.com internet radio.  If I go in
with Firefox on linux, using default UA, I get a stripped-down list of
player options... i.e. only the "new-and-improved" Flash player, which
doesn't work under linux.  If I go in as Firefox under Windows, I get
the new player (which doesn't work), the older player (which *DOES* work
for me), and the client-side-media-player option, e.g. mplayer or mpg123
(and xmms long ago), which also works for me.

  2) I'm getting serious about transitioning over to uzbl webbrowser.
It's based on webkit.  When I go to nhl.com, the website sees "webkit"
and a browser the webmaster never heard of, so they assume I'm using a
smartphone and redirect me to the mobile site.  Obligatory xkcd comics
http://xkcd.com/1174/  http://xkcd.com/869/  At least they allow me to
click a button go to the main website, and don't nag me for the mobile
site.

  It's stuff like this that annoys me.  The git version of uzbl allows
me to simultaneously launch multiple instances, using different config
files, which comes in useful.